Tuesday 5 September 2017

A Decade of Drivel!

I've just realized that this blog is now just over 10 years old; my first post was dated August 4, 2007. 
Delusions of grandeur are not limited to vertically challenged control freaks with nasty hemorrhoids.   At least I'm tall.
Where the devil does the time go?  Not on painting a huge shed-load of figures, that's for sure.  But looking back there has been progress. 
In 2007, actually gaming anything- let alone 28mm Napoleonics- was a pipe dream.  Ten years on, and...
  • I am enjoying a reasonably regular diet of wargaming, with a great bunch of gaming buddies
  • I have a modest, if growing, collection of painted miniatures, enough to play some quite decent games (in fact I am close to completing an entire IJA force for Bolt Action) 
  • we have found rule sets we are happy with and (almost) never argue over
  • I've even got my own wargaming table now.
The only real downside is that we never seem to game as often as we would like, and there always new rules and periods to tempt us.  But I suspect that's true of most groups even in their best days.

Of course the lead/polymer mountain remains imposingly Andean in size; but sod it, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a wargaming pack rat.

All told, it's pretty satisfying to be where I am today, and on reflection starting this blog was instrumental in helping me get to this point in no small way.  Had Giovanni here not stumbled across it and sent me an email, we would never have known about each other's existence; and for me at least, my enjoyment of the hobby would be but a pale shadow of what it is now.

Basically, I blog for myself; it's a record of games played, figures painted, and of the fun had in gaming and communicating with like-minded enthusiasts.  It's also an outlet for a bit of written creativity that I wouldn't otherwise get (especially living, as I do, in a non-English speaking country). 

There are way better blogs out there for sure; grander games, more visitors, more impressive painting and terrain, and more regularly updated.  I know this because I bookmark and eagerly devour them, and enjoy reading them all.  

But Serrez les Rangs has always been my own little public corner of the wargaming universe, and I get a lot of pleasure from it.  

To all who are taking the time to read this in an increasingly busy world, and especially to those of you who come here regularly, who have commented, and who provide me with the encouragement to keep at it- a very big "thank you"!

3 comments:

Gonsalvo said...

Congratulations on the Anniversary of your blog, and what it has meant for you!

DeanM said...

Yes, hearty congrats on your blog's anniversary, Robert! It is always a pleasure to read your posts - well-written and with wonderful pictures of equally wonderfully painted minis. Here's to another 10 years! Best, Dean

grecian1959 said...

Back in the saddle
And a blog I keep tabs on
Keep up the great work and here's to 2027
From another Weissbier aficionado
Peter