Monday 28 December 2009

Dulce et Decorum Est...

Soldat Jean le Malchance "takes one for the team"...
The winter painting offensive is going well.  My finished output after a week of let's-get-down-to-some-serious painting.   This is what I have finished and based so far, but there are about a dozen more who are now not so far behind, and then the 28eme Legere will be- gasp!- COMPLETED!  Now there's a thought.  

For the fourth "company" (i.e. stand, for GdB) I wanted a little vignette, so I used a falling wounded figure in the first rank, and as he falls backwards his musket takes the shako off from the soldier behind him.  As the unfortunate M. le Malchance wreaks havoc in the line, the company officer attempts to restore order in the ranks, damn yer eyes...
"Soyez braves, mes soldats!"   
"What's to fear from a little canister?  En Avant!!!"
The startled figure in the back row was a bare-headed infantryman in greatcoat, but I hacked a covered shako off a spare figure (which had lost its bayonet when one of my cats knocked it off the painting desk- grrrr!), and in fifteen minutes with the help of some epoxy, a drill and a paper clip I had modelled myself a guy with his shako falling off.

I'll get around to texturing the bases once all the figures for the battalion are done.  Next up for the finish line is a pair of skirmishers and the third company.  These will be followed by the last company stand, the final two skirmishers for the battalion, and the 6 pdr. gun and crew.

And then it's time for some green; the 7eme Chasseurs au Cheval  with their natty pink facings, and for a change.. Russians!


6 comments:

Foss1066 said...

Very nice indeed! the shako flying off gives this stand a real "in the moment" feeling. Thanks for the inspiration.

Doc Smith said...

Robert - that's great! I love the little vignette you've made out of the stand with poor old Jean the Unlucky - great animation. Its those little touches that make wargaming figures above the ordinary - like the story about the officer's green gloves - and all the better with a great paint job!

All the best and more figures painted in 2010!

Cheers,
Doc

http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/

Robert said...

Thanks for the comments! The Front Rank models are easy to paint and fun to work with.

I've done a number of conversions over time, and it's rewarding to have a few unique figures in the collection.

Secundus said...

I am enjoying your Blog and I love the little details you've included like the knocked off hat. Simon

DeanM said...

You are an excellent painter. I am very impressed with the exactness of the shako plates, cockades, and especially the numbers on the cartridge boxes. Among other things I can't do, painting numbers is up there. Dean

Robert said...

Thanks for the compliment! I am happy with my painting, but a lot less so with my productivity- which is pretty woeful.

l actually cheated a bit on the numbers, as I used an inexpensive drafting pen for the job.

Writing the numbers on a curved surface was hard enough with the pen, let alone trying to paint them on with a brush!